Please Click On this Following Cover Page to Read Full Book
Gurucharitra is a pious and holy Grantham (Book) in Ovi form of Marathi. This is written by Sri Saraswati Gangadhar. It has arisen from the conversation between Guru Siddha and disciple Namadharak. The original text recount, in 52 chapters, the life and teachings of the two incarnations in about 7000 verses.
In the late 19th century, Paramahamsa Parivraajakaachaarya Shreemad Vasudevaanand Saraswati Swaami Maharaj, a famous saint of the Dattatreya tradition, translated the work in Sanskrit verses of equal number.
Many Gurudev Datta devotees perform parayana (read it in seven days) many times during the year. Concentration, devotion and faith on this Grantham results in removing all difficulties, sorrow, poverty and bless devotees with peace, happiness and all sorts of wealth after performing the parayana. Like all epics, in Shree Gurucharitra too there are stories within stories and more stories.The narration includes anecdotes from the lives of Lord Dattatreya and his incarnations.This volume is regarded as divine, capable of blessing one and all who read it with respect and is placed with images of Gods and adored in almost all devotee’s houses of Maharashtra. It is much respected and is very popular like Vedas, Ramayan, Mahabharat, Bhagwat and other puranas in sanskrit and Dnyaneshwari, Dasbodh, Eknathi Bhagwat etc. in Marathi.
(Source : http://www.sreedattavaibhavam.org )
The parayana is to be performed in seven days in following manner.
• Take a bath to clean and purify your body.
• Perform worship/pooja of the God to purify your mind.
• Bow to the God and elderly people in your family.
• Starting day and time of reading must be good.
• Reading place must be the same for all seven days.
• If you are reading it for specific purpose, then say it and tell it to God Dattatreya before starting reading.
• Reader needs to be facing towards East or North while reading Gurucharitra.
• Devotee needs to keep picture of God Dattatreya in front of him.
• Holy lamp to be kept burning by using ghee.
• Day One: Read adhyay from 1st to 7th
• Day Two: Read adhyay from 8th to 18th
• Day Three: Read adhyay from 19th to 28th
• Day Four: Read adhyay from 29th to 34th
• Day Five: Read adhyay from 35th to 37th
• Day Six: Read adhyay from 38th to 43rd
• Day Seven: Read adhyay from 44th to 52nd. Sometimes the parayana of all 52 adhyayas is not possible; hence devotees perform parayana of a particular adhyaya for a specific reason as advised by Guru.
Following Adhyayas are read for specific reasons.
Adhyaya 1 for getting a sadguru.
Adhyaya 2 to receive blessing from Guru.
Adhyaya 4 this adhyaya is God Dattatreya birth day adhyaya.
Adhyaya 13 is for removing disease and obtaining good health.
Adhyaya 14 is for removing all difficulties from life.
Adhyaya 18 is for removing poverty and acquiring wealth.
Adhyaya 20 and 21 is for the good health of children.
Adhyaya 39 is to have santati (issue).
Thus there is very importance of Gurucharitra in everybody’s life. Many devotees have obtained health, Wealth, happiness and peace in their life by performing parayana of Gurucharitra.