Portrayal of the biography of a Saint is a formidable venture. I shudder to embark upon such an arduous task, particularly when it relates to a Saint of the zenith order viz. His Holiness Sri Sri Sri Sadguru Samartha Narayana Maharaj. I perfectly realize that I am unequal to the task, being bound by my innate limitations. Nonetheless, I feel compelled by some force from within, that I should make a humble contribution for the enrichment of joy of myriads of disciples and devotees of Guru Maharaj who yearn to hear more and more about Him. I prostrate at His Lotus Feet and pray to shower His Grace out of pity and compassion for me in order to make my endeavor a success.
His Holiness Sri Sri Sri Sadguru Samartha Narayana Maharaj is the personification of “Sadguru Tathwa” as defined in Guru Geetha by Maheswara. He is verily the incarnation of Sri Kalyana Swamy Maharaj, the most beloved disciple of Sri Sri Sri Sadguru Samartha Ramadasa Swamy, the founder of ‘Samartha Sampradaya’. Great men acclaim Sri Samartha Ramadasa as an apostle sent on earth to bring about renaissance of ‘Sanathana Dharma’ which was on the wane, through the regal medium of Sri Chatrapathi Shivaji Maharaj. Sri Ramadasa Swamy is Lord Hanuman Himself. Maruthi descended in Kaliyuga in that personality to rejuvenate the spiritual perspective of life in the humanity at large.
The Guruji whose memoir is the subject of this book viz. Sri Sri Sri Samartha Narayana Maharaj is the eleventh in the sacred lineage of Acharyas of ‘ Guru Parampara ‘ of the renowned Sampradaya popularly hailed as the Samartha Sampradaya referred to supra. His Swaroop is beyond one’s comprehension. His ways are mysterious.
There is nothing in the universe made up of the five elements to be compared with ‘Sadguru’ whose supremacy is par excellence. Sri Sadguru Samartha Maharaj squarely answers the description of Sadguru Tathwa as extolled thus in Guru Geetha verses.
“Brahmanandam Parama Sukhadam Kevalam Gnana Moorthim Dwandwa theetham Gagana Sadrusam Tatwamasayadi Lakshyam Ekam Nithyam Vimalamachalam Sarvadhee Sakshi Bhutam Bhavatheetham Triguna Rahitham Sadgurum Tam Namami.”
Sri Guru Maharaj is Maharudra, adoring as he does, the aforesaid Samartha Sampradaya the founder whereof is Samartha Ramadasa Swamy, the incarnation of Maruthi who is Maharudra Avathar is ‘Dasa Janodharana’ or emancipation from the snares of illusion, of the souls of those who unreservedly surrender to him.
He is not confined by limitations of space, the very ‘Brahmanda’ as a whole being his abode. He is omnipresent. He belongs to ‘Udasa pantha’ the path of absolute renunciation or detachment from mundane affiliations which is the quintessence of Vedantha for he can sift the truth from the myth like a royal swan discerning the water from milk “Udasinatha thathwatha sara ahe” _ Manachi Slok _57. None can fathom the depth of his inner self, by any extraneous means or gestures. His ‘Mudra’ being ‘Alakshya’ forbidding dualty. He dwells in ‘Brahaman’ in utter identification with the cosmos, seated as it were in ‘Sidhasana’. His pursuits are untrodden and unintelligible because of his perspective unique in character and in accord with ‘Shat darshanas’ (Nyaya Vyseshika, Sankhya, Yogs, Meemamsa and Vedantha) constituting the medium for unraveling the spirit of the scriptures (Vedas). In other words, none can comprehend the mystery of his mission, imperceptible and unimaginable. Because of the absolute State of ‘Atma Nivedan’. He is Paramathman in Eternity! He is ‘Vimala Brahma’ since all barriers of Dwaitha are broken asunder in effulgence of His vision. He is Sadguru, the elevator. He is ‘Samartha’ the series of titles or appellations which are inherent attributes of Guru Maharaj found in the ennobling expression of commendation which runs thus.
“ Jai Maharudra Dasa Janodhara Brahmanda mata, Udasa Pantha, Alakshya Mudra, Sidhasana, Shatdarshana Nimitha gumani pantha chalile, Atma Nivedana, Vimala Brahma, Sri Sadguru Samartha Narayana Maharaj Ki Jai ”.
The following sloka gives a glimpse into this thatwa.
“ Shruthi Nyaya Meemamsake Tharka Sastre
Smruthi Veda Vedantha Vakya Vichitre
Mana Sarva Janeeva Sanduni Rahe ”
Can any one on earth describe or praise Sadguru in a befitting manner. A strict “NO” is the exact answer for the question. No greater a Saint than Sri Samartha Ramadasa swamy declared in HisGrandharaj Dasabodh, in unequivocal items, that the only way in which we can extol the Guru is to express without reservations that justice can not be done in this behalf except by admitting our incapacity or incompetence.
Saints cannot be judged by mundane measures or standards; nor can they be understood by human intellect. They live in a realm to which we cannot gain access with all our worldly attachments and egoistic assumptions. Saints also do live amidst us but we fail to recognize or identify them. For all external appearances they look like ordinary human beings whose physical form they too have adopted; nay very often, far less in prominence than human beings in advancement in the way of life as we conceive it. For lack of the right perspective, we can never gauge their inward stature. They are ‘jeevan Mukthas’. The purpose of their existence is to elevate the mankind from the bondage to which it has succumbed or to uplift them from the mire of illusion. They have their own modus operandi to make their task an accomplished fact.
Sri Sri Sri Sadguru Samartha Narayana Maharaj is an Avathar of stupendous significance in the history of times. The purpose of this Avathar and its bearing on the need of the times can not be adequately explained. Every inch of land on which He treaded was hallowed by His advent. He was vested as it were, with powers carte blanche in order to fulfill Hie Mission of moulding the masses to sublimation and elating the mankind to spiritual heights. He traveled through the length and breadth of the country like a ‘Jangama Kshetra’ or a holy place of veneration mobile in character, to be within the easy reach of a devout and deserving aspirant for eternal bliss.
Sri Sri Sri Sadguru Samartha Ramadasa Swamy is undoubtedlyMaruthi incarnate as already indicated. When there was in Bharatha Varsh, a deplorable set back for the glory of righteousness or Dharma enjoined by the scriptures and when there were inroads into the very edifice of the Arsha culture, Maruthi manifested in that Avatar, Maruthi is eternal(Chiranjeevi) like His Lord Rama. His manifestation occurs invariably in all the Yugas, having for its object the transmission of the power of Rama nama in the entire universe as a measure of expediency. As the Legend Ramayana reveals Bharath Maharaj, the younger brother of Sri Rama Chandra Prabhu shot an aroow in ‘Thretha Yuga’ at Hanuman who was flying rapidly with the Holy Mountain ‘Sanjeevani’ to the place where Sri Lakshmana Swamy had sunk into trance during the warfare in Lanka, under a misapprehension that He(Hanuman) was an enemy. Although he realized his folly very soon after Hanuman fell down alongwith with the mountain and immediately and dispatched the mountain together with Hanuman at greater.speed by releasing another arrow from his quiver, He very much repented for having unwittingly caused insult to Hanuman and resolved in mind to serve Him as a menial in order to purge himself of the sin he perpetrated. Purusnat to the vow so pledged, Bharatha availed the opportunity of the advent of Sri Samartha Ramadasa Swamy on earth and took Avathar to become his disciple.
An incident which saddens our hearts occurred towards the end of His Avathar. Sri Sri Samartha Ramadasa Swamy disappeared from the sence at a time when He the Sishya, Kalyan who would not otherwise, as He felt, allow the Guruji to leave the mortal coil in that manner. Coming to know of the Niryana of Guru Maharaj, Sri Kalyan Swamy bade the remains of the physical body of the Guru to be preserved securely until he himself had fulfilled the task assigned to him in this world, such that his own ashes also be later joined with hose remains of the Guru for immersion in the holy Sarayu_Ganga. Some of the sishyas who were ignorant of however hastened to carry the remains of Sri Samartha Ramadasa Swamy to the river Ganges even when Kalyan was alive. This news proved far-reaching in deed. Sri Kalyan Swamy was very much perplexed over this sudden and unforeseen turn of events and was caught in bewilderment. There was immediately a revelation in his mind that the sankalpa of His Guru was otherwise. Consequently He surrounded the physical body instantaneously and unmindful of his unfulfilled assignment such that his original intention was carried into effect. It is to fulfill such unfulfilled assignment that He appeared on the scene once again in the Avathar of our Gurudev (Samartha Narayana Maharaj) and resumed service as disciple to His Guru who by then had incarnated as Sri Brahma Chaitanya Maharaj. Samartha Narayana Maharaj is thus undoubtedly the incarnation of Sri Kalyana Swamy Maharaj as the followers of Samartha Sampradaya have every reason to believe. The words “Avathara ghe seethu Kalyan Swamy” in which the Guruji is extolled in the Harathi Song sund everyday by sishyas are richly pregnant with this meaning. One more pointer to this truism is found in the significant circumstance that on the very day of Ashada Suddha Trayodasi according to the Hindu calendar on which Sri Kalyan Swamy laid down his mortal coil, our Master Sri Sri Sri Sadguru Samartha Narayana Maharaj also attained Rama Ikya in the year 1990 corresponding to Pramodutha Namr Samvatsara. The avatara karyakrama of our Guruji is unfathomable and incomprehensible.
- If the entire expanse of the earth is of seven crores of units, the identified area is only twenty one thousand units.
- People judge the saints according to their own standards.
- A man can be considered to be a devotee of God when his loving attention to God remains unmoved even if difficulties invade him in battalions.
- Anxiety implies lack of faith in God.
- Mundane desires and the pleasures derived there from are germane to the attachments accrued from past births.
- The words and the actions of a Satpurusha always have a broad meaning and scope. They are interpreted by various people in various good or bad ways. The real meaning of his words and actions is known only to himself or to those who have reached his level.
- Sathakoti Rama Nama Mahayagna is the rarest of the rare yagnas performed on earth. Maharshi Valmiki conducted this yagna for the first time and it is being now performed again afterwards (referring to the one which was undertaken by Guruji).
- If one character or letter of the alphabet in Rama Nama is articulated once, it releases crore-fold energy.
- The legendary ‘Chit rakoota’ comenprises of the area extending upto Jhansi in Madhya Pradesh, ‘Naimisharanya’ is the area between Jhansi and Lucknow
- The body consists of six parts. Four parts out of the six constitute water and the other two parts are made up of ‘mala’ i.e. foul matter. One’s health is affected if there is imbalance of this ratio even to the slightest extent.
- Adi Shankarachaya installed the idols of Sri Seethe Rama Lakshamana in Sri Rama Janmabhoomi.
- Jagadguru Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi is a ‘Karma Yogi’ (Guruji is Gnana Yogi).
- After recovering from ailment (evidently referring to cancer), Guruji said he put on new skin and new blood and his ears got reduced in size.
- There is nectar in the head of the fly.
- There is no limit for desires. They are never ending. They pollute the life. We should therefore Endeavour for self realization.
- Harihar, vontimitta, Panchavati, Chitrakoota and Ayodhya are the fie places to be compendiously referred to as Ayodhya.
- Kaikeyi persisted her desire to send Rama to exile because she was influenced by the sage Viswamithra.
- ‘Mathsya Thanthra’ is a sacred place where Lord Maha Vishnu assumed Mathsya Avathara. It is near to Manasa Sarovar. Saints who are rid of ‘Deha Bhava’ (body-am-I-consciousness) alone can go to Masthya Thanthra . Samartha Ramadasa Swamy, Gajanan Maharaj and Vasudevananada Saraswathi (Tembe Maharaj) visited this sacred place. Our Guruji Samartha Narayana Maharaj also stayed here for a week days.
- Keshava Swamy Maharaj in Samartha Panchayatna is the incarnation of Jambavantha.
Source : http://srisamarthanarayana.blogspot.in