- People of India stand shoulder to shoulder with those affected due to natural disasters and the tragedy in Gorakhpur.
- National security is our priority. We are capable of defending our country in all spheres - land, sea or the cyber space.
- A handful of separatists trying new tactics to create problems in the state.
- Violence has no place in free India. The country will not accept violence in the name of faith.
Prime Minister Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi today addressed the nation from the historic Red Fort. This is the fourth time that Modi addressed the nation from the ramparts of the iconic citadel. In his hour-long speech, the Prime Minister spoke on various issues ranging from GST to terrorism.
Key highlights of his speech:
* Today we are celebrating both Independence Day and Janmasthami.
* I bow to all those who have sacrificed for the independence of the nation.
* People of India stand shoulder to shoulder with those affected due to natural disasters and the tragedy in Gorakhpur.
* Natural calamities have become a big challenge. Good rains contribute to prosperity of the country, but climate change creates problems.
* No one is small or big in India. We can bring change with our collective effort and create a new India where all will get equal opportunity.
* This is a special year as it is the 75th anniversary of Quit India Movement, the 100th anniversary of Champaran Satyagraha, and the 125th anniversary of Ganesh Utsav.
* Our armed forces always proved their mettle in handling both extremism and during war. Even the world acknowledged our power after the surgical strikes.
* National security is our priority. We are capable of defending our country in all spheres – land, sea or the cyber space
* Must leave this ‘Chalta Hai’ nature. We have to now think of ‘Badal Sakta Hai’- it will help us progress as a nation.
* January 1 2018 will not be an ordinary day, those born in this century will start turning 18, ‘Bhagya Vidhatas’ of our country.
* GST is a great success. The world is in awe seeing how we implemented the new tax system in such a short notice.
* GST has shown the spirit of cooperative federalism. The nation has come together to support GST & the role of technology has also helped.
* Many countries now helping India in fight against terror.
* Have asked terrorists to join the mainstream but there will be no leniency towards terrorism.
* Development of J&K is the responsibility of both the state and Center. Na gaali se samasya sulajhne wali hai, na goli se, samasya suljhegi har Kashmiri ko gale lagane se (Kashmir probem cannot be resolved by either bullets or by abuses. It can be resolved by embracing all Kashmiris).
* A handful of separatists trying new tactics to create problems in the state.
* Today I am happy to announce the launch of a dedicated portal for the winners of gallantry awards.
* Today India is using technology to root out corruption and the world is now acknowledging our achievements in this regard.
* India is capable of sending Mangalyaan in just nine months and we are now focusing on speedy implementations of projects.
* States have very important role in the development of country
* Violence has no place in free India. The country will not accept violence in the name of faith.
* The poison of castesim and communalism can never be beneficial for our nation. This is the country of Lord Buddha and Mahatma Gandhi.
* I want to mention those women who have to suffer due to ‘Tripe Talaq’- I admire their courage. We are with them in their struggles
* We are devoting significant attention to eastern India- Bihar, Assam, West Bengal, Odisha, Northeast. These parts have to grow further.
* This year 56 lakh people paid taxes. 3 lakh shell companies have been found of which licenses of 1.75 companies have been cancelled.
* Tax filing has more than doubled from April 1 to August 5. Unearthed black money worth Rs 1.25 lakh crore in 3 years.
* In future digital currency will take the place of paper notes and hence we are determined to carry on with less cash economy.
* If we will be successful in Swach Bharat, it will rein in inflation and help the poor save money.
* Demonetisation helped banks lower interest rates.
* GST boosting goods-transport efficiency by 30%. Will see increase in transparency with GST implementation.
* There will be no space to loot in the country… Our fight against corruption and black money will go on.
* Aim at lowering medical costs for poor, middle class.
* Want to double farmer income by 2022.
* Aim to provide home, water, power to all poor people.
* Aim to create a terror, communal, caste-free nation.